Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The First Snow




I woke up this morning and it was snowing.  SNOWING!  It seems a little early for that, but I'm a Utah girl and love snow.  In our little family, we have a tradition – on the first day it snows each year, I always make chili and bread sticks for dinner.  I'm not sure today actually counts since the snow quickly disappeared and was replaced with rain.  But it was too late.  My mind was made up.  I was making chili.

This is a Martha Stewart recipe, but I’ve tweaked it a little, as Martha and I don’t see eye-to-eye on everything (I don't need to feed an army, like to use what I already have, and don't do insider trading).  If you want her original recipe, which I’m sure is good as is, go here.  

I love this chili because it's rich and warm and delicious.  Perfect for days like today.

Ingredients
2 slices bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
1 ½ pounds ground turkey (93% lean)
½ pound Italian sausage (You don’t need this but I had some on hand and it makes everything tastier J)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (have courage people, it’s really not that much)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (don't leave this out - it's the star of the show)
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¾ cup water
2 teaspoons salt
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans

Directions
Over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, 6-8 minutes.  Add the turkey and Italian sausage.  Break up the meat with a spoon and cook just until browned.  Drain most of the fat.
      
      Chop the onion and garlic, or if you are me, drop the onion, rinse it off, and then chop.  Add it to the meat and cook until soft.  Stir in the chili powder and cocoa powder.  Cook and stir for about another minute.  

      Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, water, and salt.  Bring it all to a boil.  Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered for 30 minutes.  
   
      Add both cans of beans and cook for about 30 more minutes, or until the meat and beans are very tender.
      Top it off with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of cheese and serve with warm bread sticks.  
  
      Bring on the snow, right Hannah?


No comments:

Post a Comment