Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Valentine's Date

Aaron and I celebrated Valentine's Day on Saturday.  Thursday just didn't work for us - my sister was in town and Aaron had a  nasty test the next day, so he basically had a pity date with his Heat Transfer book.

This year it was my turn to plan our Valentine's date and it was awesome, if I do say so myself.  As a stay at home mom, I have a lot of time to think and plan, so I went all out.  I knew I wanted to stay in, but make it special.  I love going out, but I don't love crowds or waiters or having to get a baby-sitter.  I decided on cheese and chocolate fondue (see recipes below).  I got some fancy goblets for sparkling cider at the dollar store, along with some candlesticks.  I asked Aaron to wear a suit and I wore a little black dress and red heels.  I put on a little mood music.  I kept the whole thing a secret.

The end result....


It was fabulous.  Really, with the candles and everything, it felt like we were sitting in a high-end restaurant instead of our dinky little apartment.  Aaron was super surprised and we had such a good time just talking and being together.  The fondue was delicious, so I'm sharing the recipes so you can try it too.  Thanks Heidi, for the great recipes!

Cheese Valais Style Fondue

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound Emmentaler cheese (imported Swiss cheese), grated
  • 1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, grated
  • 3 Tbsp. white flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • Dash sweet paprika
  • French bread, meat (ham or chicken), vegetables for dipping (I did broccoli, cauliflower, and petite red potatoes)
Place both of the grated cheeses in a bowl and sprinkle them with flour.  Mix it lightly with your hands to coat the cheeses with flour.  Turn the fondue pot to "simmer."  Pour in the milk and allow it to warm.  Add the paprika and then add the cheese a handful at a time, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.  When the cheese it melted, turn heat setting to low and you're ready to go.

Chocolate Fondue

Ingredients:

  • 6 oz. good quality milk chocolate, grated (I used Lindt)
  • 3 oz. solid bittersweet chocolate, grated
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1/4 tsp. almond extract
  • Pound cake, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • Assorted fruit, cut up - strawberries, bananas, pineapple, pears, whatever you want
Turn fondue pot to "low" setting.  Add the half and half, honey, and almond extract, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is warm.  Add the grated chocolate a little at a time, stirring well until all of the chocolate is melted.

Happy dipping!


1 comment: