Thursday, December 19, 2013

This Pregnancy - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

My baby looks something like this at 16 weeks.

The Good

  • I am THRILLED to be expecting another baby!  I've been baby hungry since Hannah started walking.
  • This baby will be born just before Hannah's 2nd birthday.  They'll be two years apart in school, just like we hoped for.  I can't wait for them to be best buddies.
  • Even though I was sick, I had such great support.  Aaron seriously saved me.  He put up with a grumpy zombie wife for three months.  He got up with me in the night, held the bucket for me whenever I threw up, and then cleaned everything up.  (I am still so sorry about that....)  He would go out and get me anything that sounded remotely appetizing and always did it with a good attitude.  He listened when I needed to complain.  He took on all of the cooking, cleaning, and laundry on top of going to school, work, and doing homework.  He is the best husband ever and this baby is lucky that it has him as a dad!  Also, big thank yous to my mom, Trish, Haley, and Becca.  You guys are the best!
  • I'm feeling a lot better and I'm loving this second trimester.  It still has its symptoms, but it's so much better than the first.  It's nice to have some energy back and I've never been so grateful for my health!
  • I've gotten to hear my baby's heartbeat twice now.  It's a sound I'll never get sick of and it fills me with daydreams of kissing soft little baby cheeks.

The Bad
  • I was so sick during the first trimester.  Not just, "Ew, I don't feel well," sick, but "I don't know if I can get out of bed and crawl to the bathroom" sick.  I was sick with Hannah but not like this.
  • My doctor prescribed me Zofran to help with the sickness.  It helped me be functional but it wasn't the "miracle pill" that people told me it would be.  Plus, I experienced quite a few side effects with it, so I kind of felt like I had to pick my poison.
  • I don't like using this word lightly, but I feel like I was depressed during my first trimester.  I felt like a bad wife, a bad mom, a bad me.  I didn't feel at all like myself.  Feeling so miserable all of the time made me feel so discouraged.  I'm so glad those days are over.

The Ugly, more like random...
  • I am starving ALL OF THE TIME!  I counted the calories I consumed in one day and it was over 4,000!  No matter how much I eat, I'm hungry less than an hour later.  I wake up most nights because my stomach feels like it's eating itself and I have to eat a midnight snack.
  • I've become an insomniac.  Whether it's because I'm hungry or have to use the bathroom or for no reason at all, I usually wake up at least once during the night and it takes an hour or two to fall back asleep.  It's so annoying to be completely exhausted during the day but not be able to sleep at night.
  • The second trimester has brought with it terrible headaches.  But my doc gave me permission to drink diet coke to help so I can't complain too much.  :)
I'm so glad to be through the first trimester and to be feeling better.  Now on to the fun stuff!  We find out our baby's gender in just a few weeks so make your guesses now!

No comments:

Post a Comment