Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Homesick

We've officially been here in California for over a month. This was my first move away from home, the first time in my 24 years I've lived out of Utah.  Having left my friends, family, and beloved state behind, I've actually been surprised with how homesick I haven't been.  The adjustment has been pretty easy and I love it here.  I'm not sure what I expected but I guess I thought I'd pine a little more.

But every once in a while, usually on a rough day, I get a little pang of homesickness.  I wish I could hug my parents or hold my nieces or have a good, long conversation in person with my sister.  I miss family dinners.  I miss the mountains.  I wish Hannah could see her grandparents and aunts and uncles. I miss going next door and just talking to my friend Haley.

Luckily, there are a few things that help me get over it:

1. Knowing that my in-laws are coming in seven days!  I can't wait for them to come and to see our life here.  I'm especially excited that they'll be here for Hannah's first birthday.

2. Knowing that I will be flying to Portland in just over a month to vacation with my family!  I'm sad Heidi and Dave won't be there, but I'm counting down the days till I can see everyone else and hold that sweet nephew that should be coming any time now!

3. Having such wonderful friends here.  I seriously wouldn't be surviving without them and I'm so grateful that they have willingly opened their hearts and homes to us.  They are the best!

4. Technology.  It is miraculous that I can literally talk to or see friends and family any time.  Thank goodness for phone calls, texts, and face time.


1 comment:

  1. I remember that feeling! I was homesick a lot, but mostly I wasn't because we had great friends and family and I kept in touch with mine every day. And the mountains are hard not to miss! I'm so glad you guys are having a good time! I wish we could come visit! We'll have to chat sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete