Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day



Since becoming a mom myself, I constantly find myself thinking about my own mother – how did she do what she did?  How did she raise six kids that turned out so awesome (if I do say so myself)?  How did she make everything so fun?  How did she teach me how to make good choices and serve others?  It’s been on my mind a lot lately, I think especially since being away from her for the past week.  So for Mother’s Day this year, I wanted to write down a few of the things my mom did and continues to do that have helped me know she loves me and have helped me become the person I am.

She made me feel special.  When I was about seven, a family friend, who was going through a hard time, was staying with our family.  One morning, this person yelled at me over something that wasn’t my fault and my sensitive feelings were pretty hurt.  I remember my mom not only made me feel better in the moment, but later that day checked me out from school and took me out to lunch - just the two of us.  She made me feel so special and loved that I thought my little seven year old heart would burst.

She was consistent.  My mom (and dad) always took us to church, held Family Home Evenings, and made sure we had family scripture study and prayer.  We weren’t perfect at it, but we were consistent.

She taught me right from wrong and helped me learn to fix my mistakes.  When I was really young and playing at a neighbor’s house, I broke a small ornament off of a glass Christmas tree figurine.  I was scared and didn’t know what to do, so I hid the ornament, hoping no one would notice.  When I went home, I told my mom what had happened.  She didn’t yell or reprimand, but instead, explained the process of repentance and how to make things right.  She then went with me back to the neighbor’s house so I could tell them what happened, apologize, and offered to pay for the figurine.

She was an example.  She showed me the importance of things by doing them herself.  When I was in Young Women, she decided to work on personal progress and get her Young Women medallion – for the second time.  I remember her spending hours of a road trip we went on memorizing the Living Christ.  She didn’t have to tell me to do things; rather, she inspired me to do them.

She was supportive.  I can’t remember a single piano recital, tennis match, or symphony concert that my mom wasn’t there for. She helped me with homework, got me through friend problems, and was always there for me.

She valued the roles of wife and mother.  My mom often told me how much she loved being a wife and mother.  She never complained about the workload of taking care of six kids or made me feel like she’d rather be doing something else.  I always knew that she loved being a mom.
She believed in me.  When I was in college and doing my practicum out in the elementary schools, I got really nervous for my lesson observations.  My mom would always call me the night before to run through my lessons with me and give me a pep talk.  Her encouraging words and wise counsel always gave me the comfort and confidence I needed to be successful.

She served (and continues to serve) me.  When I was in my first trimester and was really sick, she had us over for dinner every Sunday and would make whatever I wanted and then send me home with all the leftovers.  She would watch Hannah so I could nap.  More than anything, her encouraging words helped me believe I could survive those awful months.  She’s coming out in three weeks to help me with the new baby and I know everything will be ok if she is there.


Happy Mother’s Day Mom!  I wish I could be with you today, but I'll see you in 22 days.  I love you and can’t wait to be with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment